AZ Alkmaar has confirmed a new outbreak of coronavirus amongst it’s squad, plunging Thursday’s Europa League clash with Napoli into doubt.

Last week, AZ confirmed that four first-team players had come down with Covid 19 and they missed the draw with VVV-Venlo at the weekend.

Now the club has announced that there has been further cases, although they have not said how many are affected.

AZ are now in talks with UEFA over whether their Europa League clash with Napoli in Italy on Thursday can go ahead.

Ciro Borriello, councillor at the municipality of Napoli, told Radio Punto Nuovo that he wants the game cancelled, “We need responsible behaviour. I don’t think the municipality can intervene, but we have to understand what is happening. There are nine infections, AZ should not leave at all. That’s a mini breakout.”




admin (9495 Posts)

Follow @Footballoranje_ on Twitter