Jasper Cillessen is not happy after being dropped from the Netherlands squad by Frank de Boer earlier this week.

The Valencia stopper has been Netherlands number one for De Boer and was named in the squad before testing positive for coronavirus. De Boer has now decided to drop Cillessen from his squad, and included AZ Alkmaar stopper Marco Bizot in his place.

Speaking to De Telegraaf, Cillessen said, “When the European Championship selection was announced, I was still his first goalkeeper. He already knew that I had tested positive. He then said in Portugal on Sunday that I would join the group immediately if the result of my daily rapid test was negative and that of the subsequent PCR test too. If necessary, I would only join in after the training camp.”

Cillessen is baffled by the sudden change, “I really have no idea what has changed. I have never heard anything else. Until the national coach called me on Tuesday. That makes it extra wry.”

Cillessen is furious but will not go into details,  “I don’t want to say things that damage people. I also don’t think it’s appropriate to go all out now, because my teammates are right before the European Championship and we as a Dutch national team have one goal: to perform as well as possible at the European Championship.”




admin (11282 Posts)

Follow @Footballoranje_ on Twitter