The last 16 of the KNVB Cup kicked off on Tuesday with three matches, including the shock of the tournament so far as NEC Nijmegen crashed out to amateur’s HHC Herdenberg.

hhc necHHC Hardenberg 2-0 NEC Nijmegen

Topklasse side HHC Hardenberg have provided the shock of the cup so far after seeing off Eredivisie side NEC Nijmegen 2-0 to reach the quarter finals.

NEC may be sitting ninth in the Eredivisie, but they were second best from the start in Hardenberg and the home side eventually took the lead just after the break with Glenn Kobussen finishing off an excellent pass by Rob van der Leij.

It was nearly 2-0 shortly afterwards but Todd Kane cleared off the line, while at the other end Joey Sleegers missed a great opportunity to equalise.

With 12 minutes to go Dennis Krohne settled the tie with his free kick taking a deflection before finding the net.

HHC Hardenberg will be at least one of two amateur sides in the KNVB Cup quarter finals with the tie between Capelle and VVSB to come, while Kozakken Boys face AZ Alkmaar.

Roda JC 3-1 Heerenveen

An entertaining night in Kerkrade saw Roda JC reach the last eight with a 3-1 win over ten-man Heerenveen.

After announcing his decision to stay on as Heerenveen coach, Foppe de Haan spoke of his desire to reach a third KNVB Cup final, but those hopes were dashed in the first half on Tuesday. Tomi Juric was the hero for the home side as he opened the scoring after a mistake by Erwin Mulder on 18 minutes, before he doubled the lead soon after from the penalty spot, with Heerenveen midfielder Joey van den Berg sent off for bringing down Tom Hyfte.

Heerenveen were handed a lifeline in the second half when Ard van Peppen scored an own goal, and Heerenveen nearly equalised but Stefan Marzo’s effort came back off the post.

In the final few minutes Roda JC settled the tie with Maecky Ngombo racing through on goal before finishing calmly.

Excelsior 31 1-3 Den Bosch

Excelsior 31 won’t be joining fellow amateur’s HHC in the quarter finals after their cup journey was ended by Eerste Divisie side Den Bosch.

The away side seemed like they were heading for an easy night when Vykintas Slivka handed them the lead after only ten minutes. However five minutes later goalkeeper Kees Heemskerk was shown a straight red for bringing down Hakim Ezafzafi and Den Bosch faced 75 minutes with ten men.

Excelsior 31 took advantage of the extra man before the break with Dylan Vosskühler equalising, but a penalty by Furghill Zeldenrust and a Maarten Boddaert goal saw Den Bosch safely through in the second half.

admin (14443 Posts)

Follow @Footballoranje_ on Twitter