The Promotion playoff semi-finals began on Sunday with four matches taking place. Below is a round up of all the action.

RKC Waalwijk 2-1 Excelsior

Excelsior are in danger of being relegated from the Eredivisie after going down 2-1 at RKC.

The Rotterdam side went into the playoffs in good form having won their final two matches, but they fell behind in the 53rd minute as Mario Bilante fired the hosts in front.

Jeffrey Fortes fired in an excellent strike to level the score for Excelsior in the 71st minute and they then went in search of a winner. However, it was RKC who came out on top as Jurien Garri fired them to a victory.

Excelsior now need a victory in Rotterdam to prevent their relegation.

Top Oss 0-2 Sparta Rotterdam

Sparta Rotterdam are on course for the playoff final after a routine victory at Top Oss.

Neither side came close to breaking the deadlock in the first half but after the break, Sparta went on to victory thanks to a double from young midfielder Abdou Harroui.

Firstly, on 50 minutes, Harroui found the bottom corner after turning away from two defenders. Then with three minutes left, Harroui raced through on goal and calmly slotted the ball past goalkeeper Ronald Koeman JR.

Sparta will now look to finish the job on Wednesday night in Het Castle.

Go Ahead Eagles 2-2 Den Bosch

The chances of Go Ahead Eagles returning to the Eredivisie took a hit on Sunday as they were held to a draw by Den Bosch in Deventer.

The home side dominated the early stages but in the 18th minute, Jort van der Sande silenced the crowd with a header to put Den Bosch ahead.

Go Ahead Eagles found the equaliser twelve minutes later thanks to some quick thinking by midfielder Paco van Moorsel. He surprised the Den Bosch defence with a move that allowed Julian Lelieveld’s cross to bounce and find the net.

Five minutes into the second half, Luuk Brouwers restored the visitors lead but once again Go Ahead Eagles thought back with Jaroslav Navratil staying calm in front of goal.

The home side had the chance to win it late on when they were awarded a penalty but van Moorsel missed it. It is now all to play for in the second leg on Wednesday.

Cambuur 1-1 De Graafschap

Cambuur had goalkeeper Xavier Mous to thank as they held De Graafschap to a 1-1 draw.

The meeting between the two clubs was a difficult one for De Graafschap coach Henk de Jong, who will leave to take over at Cambuur after this season.

He watched on as his current side dominated the early stages but Xavier Mous kept Cambuur in the game. At the other end, Nigel Robertha thought he had scored with a lovely touch but he was flagged offside.

In the 33rd minute, Furdjel Narsingh broke through and calmly fired the visitors ahead. However, the lead only lasted two minutes before Robin Maulun hammered Cambuur level from the edge of the box.

Two minutes into the second half, Cambuur were reduced to ten men when Emmanuel Mbende was adjudged to have put his studs into Fabian Serrarens. VAR did not interfere.

With an extra-man, De Graafschap dominated but they could not find a way past an inspired Mous. Even when a penalty was awarded late on, Mous kept out Serrarens spot-kick.

admin (14496 Posts)

Follow @Footballoranje_ on Twitter